Remembering MeeMaw, where do I begin...MeeMaw is my mom's mom...one of my grandmothers. She is one of the most significant relationships I've had the blessing of having while growing up. She will be meeting Jesus soon, perhaps today. I've been consumed with a hopeful grief for her. She was placed in hospice care Sunday evening late and I had the blessing of getting to say goodbye on Monday afternoon. Nothing could have prepared me for seeing her at this place in the scope of life; however, I'm so thankful for the sweet moments God granted she and I in the quiet of her hospital room. This post is my attempt to capture five memories of her in my life.
- Stride-Rite Shoes: I remember the store perfectly, it was narrow and somewhat small. It had these perfect kid sized bench seats that looked like stairs on either side. MeeMaw took us there to get shoes several times as children. It was always fun being waited on by the clerk and getting to sit on the benches. MeeMaw loved getting to buy us shoes. She would always smile as we tried on various pairs and walked around the store.
- Mothers' Day Out: I don't remember this personally, but I've heard MeeMaw tell the stories enough times that it's easily one of my memories now. When I was under the age of three, we lived in Carrollton, Texas, about an hour from her house in Arlington. Each week MeeMaw would make the drive to give my mom a "Mother's Day Out" and she and I would spend the day together. She would take me for walks around the neighborhood, feed me lunch, and spend the time with me. This was the beginning of a special relationship between she and I.
- Broccoli: MeeMaw loved to tell the story of broccoli and me! Apparently my love of broccoli goes WAY back...to toddler-hood! MeeMaw would tell this story anytime we were eating broccoli...picture me as a little girl, strapped into the high chair pleading for "mo...mo...mo!" I couldn't get enough of the green stuff! I can picture her sweet face smiling as she would mimic my toddler voice in the story.
- Quarterly Visits: Our family moved away from Texas when I was three and with that move began quarterly visits. Almost every quarter, we saw MeeMaw and Papa. They would drive to us in Oklahoma or Georgia or we would come to them. These visits are fond memories now of my sisters and I in a flurry of activity preparing for them to arrive. The anticipation of what we would do while they were there. On one particular visit to Georgia, we created a "hotel" that we wanted them to check into upon their arrival. MeeMaw and Papa were good sports playing along with our plan. I'm so thankful for the time spent traveling to see us throughout my childhood!
- College: College was a special time for MeeMaw and me. She sent me notes and cards every other week my entire four years at A&M. It was always fun to see her handwriting waiting for me in the mailbox. Each note carried basically the same message that she loved me, was thinking of me, and wanted me to have some fun money. God provided for a lot of my "wants" through this fun money! She and my Papa also had season football tickets with my parents during my sophomore, junior, and senior years at A&M so all of my roommates had the pleasure of really getting to know my family! It was always fun hosting everyone for game day weekends and tailgates. I look back now so grateful for those times of suffering through sweltering heat or cold nights yelling for our Ags to BTHO whoever we were playing, there are lots of memories of surrounding those games and our shared love of A&M. My last memory of MeeMaw from college was the weekly phone calls between she and I. Each semester she and I would arrange a time to chat and catch up week to week. I knew her best during those four years of my life. I think she enjoyed getting to hear about all the things I was doing and learning while at A&M. Again, I'm thankful for the time spent investing and loving me.
MeeMaw,
I love you! I'm so glad that you are one of my grandma's! I am going to miss you terribly! I love you! I'm so thankful for everything you are to me!
Love,
Allie

No comments:
Post a Comment