The Best Christmas, Yet!
On this Christmas night, I'm feeling quite blessed with where God has me! A few short years ago Christmas away from 'home' was still new, uncomfortable, and difficult. Yet, I've grown and matured and come to covet Christmas with my husband at our home, with our traditions, and the joy of sharing those with our families. 2011 has been an eventful year of many firsts: we bought our first home, we conceived our first child, we hosted our first Christmas.
To recap our Christmas:
Tuesday, December 20: My sisters arrived to share and help in the joy of Christmas, primarily making dozens and dozens of Christmas cookies. Between Tuesday evening and Thursday evening we made (they did a lot of the work) 2 batches of sugar cookies (approximately 100+ cut-outs that were then iced and decorated!), 2 batches of gingerbread cookies (approximately 50+ cut outs that were iced and decorated), 4 dozen peanut butter blossoms, a jam cake, and muddy buddies (a.k.a. puppy chow). Don't worry too much, this was all for good purpose...to ship to our grandparents, to feed, and delight our families for Christmas Eve and day. Most importantly, I was closely monitored in my sugar consumption!
Friday, December 23: My mom and dad arrived...we all visited family friends from forever in my memory and enjoyed an afternoon of catching up.
Saturday, December 24: Christmas Eve!
We went to church at what is becoming our new church home, Allen Bible Church. The service was wonderful, filled with carols, the story of Christmas adapted from the Jesus Story Book Bible (which I highly recommend!), and the conclusion of advent with the Lord's Supper. This Christmas season will be remembered for many years to come as I feel a close kinship to Mary. Last night as the pastor walked through the five candles of Advent (grace, light, redemption, humility, and Christ), I was reminded of the little girl growing inside me with lively kicks. Mary was a trooper, riding a donkey at near full term, giving birth in a stable amid the animals, welcoming the King of Heaven in human form to this earth....I can't imagine how she felt as she "pondered these things quietly in her heart." I am so thankful to know my King and the reason for this season as Philippians 2 so adequately describes...not the birth of Jesus, but why Jesus came, to save each of us.
who though he existed in the form of God 11
did not regard equality with God
as something to be grasped,
2:7 but emptied himself
by taking on the form of a slave, 12
by looking like other men, 13
and by sharing in human nature. 14
2:8 He humbled himself,
by becoming obedient to the point of death
– even death on a cross!
2:9 As a result God exalted him
and gave him the name
that is above every name,
2:10 so that at the name of Jesus
every knee will bow
– in heaven and on earth and under the earth –
2:11 and every tongue confess
that Jesus Christ is Lord
to the glory of God the Father.
Then we hosted both sides of our families for Christmas Eve dinner! Over the last several years I've enjoyed developing our tradition of hosting my husband's family for Christmas Eve, making tons of cookies for dessert, and watching everyone enjoy themselves. This year was extra special because my family was here too! Our house was full of people! It was glorious! Watching people eat, talk, and share life together! I don't think I enjoy many things as much as blessing people through hosting them. Our families hadn't been together like this since our wedding almost 5 and 1/2 years ago! The overall consensus was that the evening was a great success!
Sunday, December 25: Christmas Day!
It was so fun to have Christmas with my family in our living room! Opening presents, laughing, playing Santa, and having breakfast together! My family left to go home and we were able to sit and process the blessings of this Christmas thus far. Then we prepared to go to my sister and brother-in-law's house for Christmas dinner and more gifts with my husband's family.
We were immensely blessed by our families in the gifts we received today! However, in the midst of the getting, I know I'm enjoying the giving more! Watching my family members light up with excitement as they open each gift is priceless.
Next Christmas, my pleasure will be to help our little girl experience the joys of Christmas! To begin to teach her the meaning of this season and to watch her discover this part of our life!
Merry Christmas everyone! I pray that God has blessed you through this season of celebrating His birth!
No comments:
Post a Comment